Whether you’re the crafty-type and looking for a new project or just want to get some of those old plastic water bottles off the streets and back into use, here are ten of the best ways to reuse plastic water bottles.
- Make one into a planter by cutting off the top third of the bottle, punching some holes in the bottom and filling it with some potting soil and a happy flower or two.
- Create recycled jewelry by cutting the bottle into two-inch wide rings and the wrapping them with fabric. Attach the fabric seamlessly with super glue and voila, you’ve got a new piece of handmade jewelry.
- Make a desk organizer by cutting off the top third of the bottle, fastening some fabric around the body and throwing all your spare pens and pencils inside!
- It’s easy to make an automatic plant waterer with a plastic water bottle. Just cut off the very bottom of the bottle (keep the mouthpiece attached) and stick the mouthpiece into your thirsty potted plant. Fill up the bottle with water, wait 5 minutes for your plant to take a drink and fill it up once more then refill as needed.
- Use the plastic bottles as building material for paving stones and other projects. Simply cut off the bottle bottom and affix, rounded side up, into a prepared slab of concrete. Use different bottle sizes, colors and materials for a truly unique paving stone.
- Use the bottle to hold detergent. This comes in especially useful when you have to go to the Laundromat to do your laundry and lugging around a huge box just isn’t practical.
- Fashion a coin jar by cutting a coin slot into the bottle’s lid, wrapping the bottle with fabric or decorating otherwise and collect your extra pennies inside.
- Use a bottle to store DIY and crafting materials. Hint: they make great storage spaces for beads and small knick-knacks.
- Refill them and freeze instead of cooler ice. The plus is, you can drink the extra water when they melt, too!
- If you’re feeling especially crafty and you enjoy fresh fruits and vegetables all year long, take several plastic water bottles and make a hydroponic window farm.
As you can see, there are tons of ways to make use of old plastic water bottles. So next time you’re about to throw one out, hang on to it and get crafty instead!
Kali is a guest contributor for Quench’s water cooler service, and writes about green and water related topics.
Incoming search terms:
- soil stabilization using plastic water bottles
- homemade mouthpieces
- does water jars in window give interior heat storage
- handmade use plastic bottle
- How to Re-Use Plastic Water Bottles to Freeze Vegetables
- homemade cut plastic bottles
- plastic water bottle plant waterer idea pictures
- plastic bottle bottom turns green
- plastic bottle bottom floors
- plastic bottle as pavement